Pet owners know that even the best-trained pets can urinate on the carpet at some point, leaving an unpleasant smell.
Carpet is often the first casualty when it comes to pet odors. Pet urine can quickly stain your carpet and create unwanted spots if you are not careful.
While several products in the market claim to remove pet odors, not all of them are created equal. This blog post will look at different ways to remove pet odors from your carpet.
Angel Dry offers many services such as carpet and rug repair service.
Temporary Methods to Remove Pet Odors
Nobody likes a smelly house, least of all your guests. Despite your best efforts, your pets can leave behind an odor that lingers.
Applying temporary methods on your carpet may help, but it is not guaranteed to remove the pet odor altogether. Some temporary methods to remove pet odors are as follows.
Using Baking Soda
Baking soda is a common household item that you can use for many purposes, including removing pet odor from the carpet.
Sprinkle enough baking soda onto the affected area and let it sit for a day or two. It will absorb maximum urine from the carpet.
After that, vacuum up the baking soda, and the pet odor should disappear. If the pet odor is particularly stubborn, you may need to repeat this process a few times. This method will temporarily remove the odor, but it will return after some time.
Applying Vinegar on Old Carpet
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and can neutralize many types of smells. To remove pet odor from your carpet, mix equal amounts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray on the affected area.
After a few hours, blot it with a clean cloth. Sprinkle the mixture a few times on the carpet to eliminate the odor. You can use a UV pee detector light to find the urine spots.
Enzymes are proteins that catalyze biochemical reactions. When an enzyme is used in cleaning products, it breaks down organic matter into smaller molecules, such as pet urine.
It removes the source of the odor, leaving your carpet clean and fresh. You should follow the instructions carefully and always test the cleaner on a small carpet area first to ensure it will not damage the fibers.
Effective Method to Remove Pet Odors
The smell always lingers regardless of how often you clean your carpet with ordinary methods. One permanent solution to get rid of all the pet odor is as follows:
Replace the Carpet Along With the Padding
- You can permanently remove the pet odor by replacing the carpet and padding. The reason is that the pet odor gets trapped in the carpet’s fibers, and, over time, they will start to seep into the padding, no matter how much you clean.
- Before buying a new carpet, you will need to measure the area you will be replacing. It will help you determine how much carpet and padding you need.
- You will also want to consider the thickness of the padding. Thicker padding will last longer, but it may be more expensive.
- Once you have decided on the carpet’s size and padding’s thickness, you will need to choose a material for your padding.
- You should buy such padding for your carpet that will be water-resistant so that it does not absorb urine.
- While replacing the carpet and the padding, you may need to take additional measures, such as cleaning the floor below the padding.
As long as you replace both the carpet and the padding, the pet odors will be efficiently removed.
In conclusion, temporary and effective solutions are available to remove pet odors from your carpet. Replacing the carpet is a permanent solution but is also the most expensive.
On the other hand, some temporary methods, like baking soda, diluted vinegar, and enzyme cleaners, will not eradicate the odor permanently
Not ready to replace your carpet just yet? Give Angel Dry a call and we will use our dry carpet cleaning methods on your carpet.
You will be amazed at the difference. Our methods are research proven and will yield much better results than the above-mentioned stain removal ideas.